Spam: Re: [Centos] email server partition scheme

> This is exactly the reason why I like Cyrus even for "small"
> installations.  Mail store is completely independent of user's home
> directories.  Actually, your email system becomes user-proof, since
> user's do not have direct file system access to anything IMAP server
> needs to touch.  Plus Sieve (which is used instead of procmailrc/forward
> files) configuration is also inside /var, not directly accessible by the
> users.
>
> In your case, if you were to use Cyrus, you would simply put
> /var/spool/imap onto the separate partition, and off you go.  You could
> even put /var/lib/imap that holds couple of databases used by Cyrus onto
> separate (smaller) partition on different disk from /var/spool/imap for
> better performance.  If you feel like it.

Thanks very much for this information.  I/we currently use uw-imap, and
I've been meaning to check out Cyrus anyway (not so much for anything
lacking in uw, per se, but to explore and understand other (possibly
better) options).  email systems being user-proof isn't such a big issue
here, as no user has shell access, but from a security standpoint it
still sounds like a better design, not to mention disk management.

Brendan