Spam: Re: [Centos] email server partition scheme

Brendan Pirie wrote:
> I used to keep /var/spool/mail on a separate partition, so if necessary
> I could swap the drive out to (or replace it from) another box and be up
> and running quickly.  This was before I started using imap, however. The
> default settings place imap folders in /home/~ which makes swapping
> drives a little more complicated.  I've considered a few different
> options, while trying not to increase the number of partitions by too
> much, including putting home dirs in /var so that I can swap the /var
> partition easily, but this has its drawbacks as well.  I'd be interested
> in what other people are doing as far as partitioning schemes for MTA +
> IMAP servers.

This is exactly the reason why I like Cyrus even for "small"
installations.  Mail store is completely independent of user's home
directories.  Actually, your email system becomes user-proof, since
user's do not have direct file system access to anything IMAP server
needs to touch.  Plus Sieve (which is used instead of procmailrc/forward
files) configuration is also inside /var, not directly accessible by the
users.

In your case, if you were to use Cyrus, you would simply put
/var/spool/imap onto the separate partition, and off you go.  You could
even put /var/lib/imap that holds couple of databases used by Cyrus onto
separate (smaller) partition on different disk from /var/spool/imap for
better performance.  If you feel like it.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited