[Centos] Print Jobs Stick in QUEUE list and won't go away!

Centos 3.3
Cups Printing
Samba Printer Sharing

The issue is that print jobs show up in the printer share on Windows
workstations after the job has been printed and they don't go away.  The
problem is that once the jobs hit 900-1000 in the list, the printer
becomes unavailable.  To fix the problem, I have to remove any remaining
files in /var/spool/cups (usually there is only a 100 or 200 in there
(not as many files as the print list implies), then I have to restart
CUPS, then I have to restart Samba in order to clear those out.

I tried writing shell script to automate this process but it caused a
number or problems with corrupt files because I was restarting Samba
while users had files (and Outlook - storing PST files on this server)
open.  I know users should close out but this is a network of 50+
computers and it's just a reality of life.  Also, due to the fact that
they have staff on both coasts, my window of availability to do the
above steps is very limited.

Just to provide some further background, this server has been in place
for 1.5 years.  It only started doing this about 2 months ago.  I think
I applied updates at the time but I'm not 100% sure.  The box was
originally White Box Linux but I've since converted it to CentOS using
the instructions on whiteboxlinux.com.  The problem started when it was
running WBEL and has continued through the switch.  YUM says that I've
applied all available updates.

HELP!

Thanks.
Scott