[Centos][fixed] PXE boot Centos 4.0 problems

On Mon, March 14, 2005 8:39 am, Martin Hamant said:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:03:48 -0700
> "Alan Sparks" <asparks@xxxxxxxxx> disait:
>
>> Has anyone yet tried PXE booting the vmlinuz/initrd.img
>> set from Centos 4.0beta2?
>>
>> I have a pxelinux setup that is booting 3.4 PXE images
>> fine, but the equivalent setup for 4.0beta loads the
>> kernel and then splashes the monitor full of multicolor
>> random characters.  Not a good start to an install...
>>
>> Anyone had luck?  Any changes for PXE boots known for 4.0?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> -Alan
>
> After one complete of hard working on this problem, i finally found the
> workaround !!!!!
>
> I Warn you, it's very VERY stupid.
>
> Extract from http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php:
> -----
> Before you post something, please make sure you have checked that your
> kernel files aren't named using the extensions which have special
> meaning:
>
>   .0            PXE bootstrap program (NBP) [PXELINUX only]
> ^^^^
>
>   .bin          "CD boot sector" [ISOLINUX only]
>   .bs           Boot sector [SYSLINUX only]
>   .bss          Boot sector, DOS superblock will be patched in [SYSLINUX
> only]  .c32          COM32 image (32-bit COMBOOT)
>   .cbt          COMBOOT image (not runnable from DOS)
>   .com          COMBOOT image (runnable from DOS)
>   .img          Disk image [ISOLINUX only]
> ----
>
> How did you named your kernel & vmlinuz ? :)))
> (ex: you have to name it centos-4 , NOT centos-4.0 !! )
>

> What a stupid problem .... !!
>
> --
> Martin

OK ... this will not be a problem with the next release (I am planning on
using CentOS-4 as the product and 4.1 as the version).

The posted kernel seems to work for most people, and it only doesn't work
for a very few.

I built a new kernel / initrd.img for PXE that is i686 only (not the
default i586 kernel), for people who are specfically having problems.  You
can get that PXE kernel / initrd.img here:

http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/i686_pxeboot/

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>