[Centos] popen() fread() system()

I've got a client who's recently been moved onto a CentOS4 machine
from a 3.x and is writing:

"It looks like there's one remaining problem now; at several points in the PHP
part of the dating software, C- binaries are called using popen().
The binaries work correct (tested at the command line with the proper
arguments)
The popen() retrieves the correct command (I've echo'd it)
popen() returns true
The pointer set by popen() is a valid resource.

Yet, nothing happens; the binaries should always return output, put fread()
doesn't get anything. The only thing I can think of is a difference in the PHP version and/or
configuration."

They also complain that system() calls running from a cronjob don't
execute.

I'm not much of a programmer, have no idea what this guy means.  The
only posting I've found that seems to have any possible relevance is:
http://ca.php.net/fread

Does this look familiar to anyone, or even make sense?  I've
repeatedly asked for specific commands and error messages, but they're
not being very forthcoming.

--
Best regards,
 Mickael