[Centos] Upgrading from RH8.0 - to do or not to do?????

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Ajay Sharma wrote:

> Chris Mauritz wrote:
> > Scott Heisler wrote:
> >
> > > But is it a nightmare to upgrade as well?  I know that a fresh install
> > > is a nightmare.
> >
> > What makes you say that?  I can install/configure a virgin rackmount
> > computer with the 4.0 DVD in under an hour.  What exactly are you
> > concerned about possibly tripping you up?
>
> Most likely he doesn't want to have to reconfigure all the services that are
> running on the box.  Plus there's probably a ton of little tweaks that have
> been done over the years that need to be updated.

If people are interested. I have written a tool that backups most of your
config-files, only if they have been changed compared to what was shipped
with the RPMs.

I was planning to extend this somewhat more to include also other
config-files (tagged as such by RPM) that have been changed. This way you
can take advantage if what RPM considers a config-file.

The tool is called dconf, and is located:

	http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dconf/

It's written in python and can use some help from experienced python
programmers :)

--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --