[Centos] Installing Oracle fails on CentOS 4

The relevant info is this:

For RHEL4 Only: The Oracle Universal Installer will check the operating
system release to verify that it is a supported release. As of Oracle
Database 10g 10.1.0.3, the installer does not recognize RHEL4 as a
supported release. The workaround is to follow the steps below prior to
running runInstaller.

cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release.orig
cat > /etc/redhat-release << EOF
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)
EOF

I wanted to check because no one explained why you would make such a
change.  Some software will not work if your redhat-release is in a
Centos flavor but in this case the problem is the new version number
which Oracle does not know about.  In this case, it is an Oracle problem
not a CentOS problem.

John.

PS: why O why does the CentOS-3 release file not look like
"CentOS Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)"?
put your fancy stuff into centos-release...