[Centos] Fun with RAID (Again!)

Ok, so I'm playing with an IT8212 dual channel IDE controller in an old Dell
PowerEdge 1300. I managed to compile the drivers and install them as a
module with mkinitrd and everything worked fine.

I've now got my hands on a second PIII-450 to make this a dual-cpu box and
with the kind help of others here installed the smp kernel - this kernel
will boot but doesn't like the IT8212 drivers.

The precompiled drivers (for an older 2.4 kernel) from ITE do include a SMP
version so I presume there are specific settings for a dual-CPU box but what
I'm trying to figure out is how to compile an SMP version of the drivers -
all that you get for driver source code is a .c file, a .h and a Makefile -
would it just be switches to make the SMP version or do I need to be booted
to the SMP kernel to compile the driver? In any event, I'd be happy to
reinstall from scratch or just boot SMP without the RAID controller working
at this time but how do you 'deactivate' the drivers installked with the
mkinitrd command!?

Thanks.

NK