[Centos] How to stop polling of CD-ROM drive?

After a whole 3 days of using CentOS 4 I see that there is more activity
on my unused CD-ROM drive than there is on my lightly used hard disk.
(As indicated by the number of interrupts on the ide0 and ide1
controllers.)

It seems some process is polling the CD-ROM drive to determine if there is
a disk in it.  My CD-ROM is hardly ever used after the initial OS
installation, so it makes no sense for me to have the constant polling
going on.

What process is polling my CD-ROM drive and how can I stop it?

Thanks.