[Centos] Problem: Hangs at GRUB prompt after install.

Hello Micha,

  If I am not mistaken, you are correct, it can be on raid1, but not
  raid0 or raid5.

  I had a similar problem in that my test system wouldn't boot after
  installing/upgrading to CentOS-4.  Just stopped at a grub> prompt.
  As it turned out, device.map was missing one of my drives (I am
  running raid5).  The minute I added the device to device.map I could
  then boot normally.  Below are my /boot/grum/device.map and
  /etc/fstab files.  I added "(hd2)  /dev/hdi" to the device.map.
  LABEL=/boot equates to /dev/hde1.

[root@thorn grub]# cat device.map
(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hde
(hd1)   /dev/hdg
(hd2)   /dev/hdi

[root@thorn grub]# cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/md0                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hde2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdd4               /media/zip              auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

  Unfortunately I think this is a hardware problem on this machine as
  I have seen this happen before.  Only appears to be a problem during
  installs, updates (even kernel) don't seem to cause any problems
  like this.

  jer

--
USE THE BEST . . .