[Centos] A Problem : Can NOT install APT or Synaptic for v4.0

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:06:18AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> yum should be able to install them ... they are now extras and not part
> of the main distro.  This is due to lack of support for multi-arch
> libraries that are required (or possible) on all our CentOS-4 releases
> except i386.

Small correction. s390 is clean arch too given that's it's
only running 31bit. Why it's 31bit, it's another story and has to do
with supporting the legacy 24bit addressing mode. The CPU for that arch
is 32bit, not 31bit.

If i have all the facts right, IBM did sacrifice half of the address
space for that 24bit legacy mode (the 32th bit was used for marking
24bit mode commands IMO).

But Johnny is right. apt is laking the multiarch mode which is keeping
it not so good choice for most of the archs. Most notable x86-64.
The ia64 could have ia32-libs/bins on it, but as it's built, it's 64bit
clean built w/o any other binaries included. That cvould use apt, but
we do already have two form on repodata (yum 2.2.x and legacy for
up2data), so it's not worth of it at all ...

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi@xxxxxx - http://iki.fi/upi/