[Centos] CentOS 4 installer kernel version

I noticed after an installation of CentOS 4 (final) that the kernel is a
later release that the RHEL4 kernel. It's 2.6.9-5.0.3 instead of 2.6.9-5.

>From what I can tell (from booting off the CDs in rescue mode), the
installer also is running under 2.6.9-5.0.3.

I was wondering what the reasoning for that is. I thought one of the goals
was to be as close a match to RHEL4 as possible. Having matched 'releases'
with different kernel versions seems to be a very large change.

Doesn't this break the use of RHEL4 driver disks? They'll all be made for
the RHEL4 release kernel, version 2.6.9-5. Or do those already not work
under CentOS4 for some reason, even with the same kernel version? It
certainly is much nicer to be able to use vendor provided driver disks
that always building your own.

Sorry if the questions seem silly -- I'm more from whitebox land and
testing the waters of here, and trying to figure out what kind of things
are done differently here.

Thanks and best regards,

---
Jesse <j@xxxxxxxxxxx>