Re: LTO tape drives and Bacula for Backups?

Let your backup array of hard drives falling down in the floor and try to restore something later... :p

I haven't this problem with my LTO/DAT tapes. I don't like backups in hard drives too.

2010/2/10 Benjamin Franz <jfranz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
> ----- "compdoc" <compdoc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Combined with disk based network storage, tapes have a place
>> in IT.
>>

> Yes, archival storage.

Concur. You can buy 1TB RAID rated SATA drives (with a 7 year warranty)
for $150 US from Newegg.

The strategy I use is build two machines, one on-site and one off-site,
and use an rsync over ssh network back up strategy. Using nothing except
off the shelf you can have a complete RAID6 multi-terabyte on and
offsite backup system with 'deep' retention going back a year ( 7 x
daily, 5 x weekly, 3 x monthly, 2 x quarterly, 2 x semiannual) for only
two or three thousand dollars net and no consumables or manual
intervention except when a new machine is added to the to be backed up
or if a drive fails.

--
Benjamin Franz

Lucas Timm, Goiânia/GO.