Re: Repo for RHEL docs in CentOS Stream

Hi Davide and thank you for your input.

"enterprise-docs" could work, I'll pass the message to others.

As for moving everything upstream immediately and in one fell swoop, unfortunately it's not possible at this stage. We are already maintaining the docs for multiple versions and we need to be mindful of the technical aspects of sharing the docs as well, because the toolchain infrastructure upstream and downstream differ. Still, my hope is that we will be able to make steady progress.

Hope that helps,
Tomas

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:56 AM Davide Cavalca via CentOS-docs <centos-docs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2021-09-17 at 14:19 +0200, Tomas Capek wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>     I'm following up after a meeting with Rich, Karsten, and others,
> where we discussed next steps towards setting up a mirror of
>
> https://gitlab.cee.redhat.com/red-hat-enterprise-linux-documentation/rhel-8-docs
>
> at
>
> https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/docs
>
> Interesting question came up - how should the repo be named?
> Considering that all "redhat", "centos stream", and "docs" are
> already in the URL, we briefly discussed the name before Karsten
> suggested bringing the question here.
>
> Among the proposals were:
>
> "modular-docs" - might be confusing with binary modules in the Stream
> "enterprise-upstream" - could make sense from the perspective of
> RHEL, maybe not so much from the community perspective
> "linux" - this is how RHEL is called outside the context of the RH
> product offering but is it widespread enough and unambiguous enough?

I can't access the internal RH gitlab, but assuming these are the user-
facing RHEL docs, maybe "enterprise-docs" ? I'd definitely recommend
*not* using "modular-docs", that will definitely be confusing, and
"linux" is probably too generic in this context.

> We also need to consider that we shall start by setting up a one-way
> mirror from RHEL to Stream and later switch the setup to be fully
> upstream-first.

I don't suppose we could rig this up to be upstream first from the
beginning and make the centos-stream repo the source of truth here?

Cheers
Davide

Tomáš Čapek
Senior Documentation Program Manager
Customer Content Services
irc: tcapek

Too brief? Here's why: the email charter