Re: Misleading information on main page about Centos Stream

On 9/9/20 9:28 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 08:52:47AM +0100, Phil Perry wrote:
>> Neither. The next minor release of RHEL8 is based on CentOS Stream. i.e,
>> what you see in the current CentOS Stream should/will be in minor RHEL
>> release - RHEL 8.3.
>
> What I think is unclear is that the original text mentions Fedora.
> So, saying it's 'midstream' between CentOS and Fedora makes me think
> you're taking package versions in Fedora and building it on/for
> CentOS.

That speaks to the other audience that we have to cover, the RHEL
maintainers who will actually be using CentOS Stream as the development
location for the next minor release of RHEL.

Those folks have an 'upstream first' mindset, ideally changes make it
into actual upstream projects and included in Fedora as part of the
regular work that they do. One message we need to keep here is that
Stream isn't a shortcut around those upstream-first principles.

> I'll also mention that the word 'stream' is being heavily abused by
> CentOS at this point.

No disagreement there.

> I realize that a lot of work goes into taking Fedora stuff and putting
> into RHEL, so I wouldn't want to step on that.

--Brian