Re: Misleading information on main page about Centos Stream

On 09/09/2020 07:15, Dominik Holler wrote:

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 4:05 AM Brian Stinson <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:brian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    __
    On Fri, Sep 4, 2020, at 14:26, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
    On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 05:28:58PM -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:

    > This is pretty misleading. Isn't Stream just a collection of
    repos that
    > offer pre-release packages for the next RHEL point release? It's
    not a
    > midstream between Fedora and RHEL.

    Along those lines, if someone's adjusting text in there, I'd tend
    to think
    "rolling release" indicates that one could go from RHEL 8 to 9
    without a
    reinstall, but unless something's changed, major version moves
    will require
    a reinstall, just like standard CentOS.

    I'd love to learn that my understanding is outdated!

-- Mason Loring Bliss   ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
    mason@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mason@xxxxxxxxxxx>     ))  build  their
    nest  with fragments  dropped
    http://blisses.org/ ; ((   from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tagore

    *Attachments:*

      * signature.asc

    These are both good pieces of feedback, we're considering some of
    the wording here. Keep in mind that CentOS Stream is still ramping
    up (even though we've come a long way already).

    We want to communicate a few things like:
    - CentOS Stream is made up of content intended for the next minor
    release of RHEL

Is CentOS Stream based on the next minor or major release of RHEL?

Neither. The next minor release of RHEL8 is based on CentOS Stream. i.e, what you see in the current CentOS Stream should/will be in minor RHEL release - RHEL 8.3.