Re: wiki.centos.org .. what's next ?

On 12/12/17 17:25, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Fabian Arrotin <arrfab@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:arrfab@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     it's all in the title : what's next for wiki.centos.org
>     <http://wiki.centos.org> ?
>
>     As a reminder, current wiki.centos.org <http://wiki.centos.org>
>     instance is powered by moinmoin
>     (https://moinmo.in/) but quite an old version (moin-1.5.8-3.el6.noarch)
>
>     Recently I had a quick look at trying to update/upgrade that version to
>     something newer/supported, but it's a nightmare : the data conversion
>     just kill the target server (oom) and no way to know why. When trying to
>     get help from moin people in their irc server, I was answered that such
>     old version wasn't supported, and that those upgrade scripts themselves
>     aren't supported either, so nobody would help finding why they'd be
>     buggy without having access to the full data.
>
>     Of course exposing the whole wiki instance (including user/pass) isn't
>     an option, so except if somebody has really a clue about what can go
>     wrong with the update script from 1.5 to 1.6 (and then it has to be done
>     for each major.minor upgrade, so all that in a chained operation), the
>     migration will be impossible.
>
>     That's why I'd like to discuss a possibility to move wiki to something
>     else, and that's even why we should discuss the need for a wiki itself.
>
>     If we want to continue to have community written/maintained content,
>     should be still use a wiki or something else ? Moin was selected ~10y
>     ago for its simplicity and online editing, but in 2017, most people (dev
>     and ops) are probably using other workflows, like git/pull-requests/etc.
>
>     So what about exploring other possibilities ?
>
>     I don't have a real proposal (even if mkdocs.org <http://mkdocs.org>
>     , simple solution with
>     Markdown, combined with git would be perfect for me) but just wanted to
>     start a dedicated thread so that we can think about the future of
>     wiki.centos.org <http://wiki.centos.org>
>
>     Opinions ? Proposals ? anything else ? Fee free to comment :-)
>

> ​I personally would like to see an update to the current wiki​. However
> if this is not plausible, maybe an alternative like mediawiki can be
> considered?
>
> One note I want to make is that use of git may not be suitable/best for
> docs and certainly will be frowned upon by some notable contributors to
> the current wiki.
>
> Akemi

*ack*

So maybe we should try to reach out the moinmoin people to see if they'd
like to see us continuing using moin or switch to something else.

Mediawiki can be investigated, as that's also Fedora switched to in the
past.
So we already know that :
- openid auth works (against FAS, so that will work with ACO)
- they probably had some migration scripts somewhere that we can test if
needed)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab