Surveillance of VPD Manual Update - 3/11/2024

NCIRD National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases

If you received this as a forwarded email, subscribe now for future alerts for this Manual.

You are subscribed to CDC's Manual for Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. As updated chapters and appendices become available you will be notified via this email service.

Updated Chapters listed below:

  • Chapter 12 - Poliomyelitis
  • Chapter 17 - Varicella
  • Chapter 21 - Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS)
  • Chapter 22 - Laboratory Support
Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

Chapters 12 and 22 - Poliomyelitis

The Poliomyelitis Chapters in the Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases | CDC (Chapter 12) and in Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases | CDC have been updated to include the following changes:
  1. We updated the Background section to add information through 2022, including the detection of Vaccine-derived Poliovirus Type 2 in an unvaccinated, immunocompetent young adult from New York.

  2. We updated the case definition for paralytic poliomyelitis to make it consistent with the new CSTE case definition (2023).

  3. We updated Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases | CDC to remove the emphasis on culture being the preferred method for poliovirus testing. Molecular methods are as sensitive and do not require consideration of containment issues.

Chapters 17 and 22 - Varicella

The Varicella Chapter (Chapter 17) in the Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases and in Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases have been updated to include the following changes:

  1. We updated Chapter 17: Varicella to reflect changes to the new CSTE varicella case classification (2023).
  2. We updated Chapter 17: Varicella to reflect changes to the new varicella outbreak definition and integrate guidance on investigation and control of varicella in this chapter.
    1. Previously, this guidance was detailed in the document Strategies for the Control and Investigation of Varicella Outbreaks Manual, 2008, which has now been retired.
  3. Other sections of Chapter 17: Varicella were also updated to reflect the current epidemiology of varicella and the critical variables used to monitor the impact of the varicella vaccination program.
  4. We updated Chapter 22: Laboratory Support for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases, including Tables 1-3 and Section O. Varicella, to provide information on the preferred laboratory tests for diagnostic testing and serologic testing for varicella; guidelines for specimen collection, storage, and shipment; and laboratory support contacts for varicella at CDC.

Chapter 21 - Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)

The Surveillance for Adverse Events Following Immunization Using the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) Chapter in the Manual for the Surveillance of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (Chapter 21) has been updated to include the following changes:
  1. Updated numbers show the decline in vaccine-preventable disease annual morbidity in the United States from baseline 20th century data to 2020 data.

  2. Information on the vaccine life cycle with safety testing at each phase.

  3. Examples on the uses of VAERS data during the COVID-19 pandemic.

  4. Information on V-safe, a new vaccine safety monitoring surveillance system.

1600 Clifton Rd   Atlanta, GA 30329   1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636)   TTY: 888-232-6348
Questions or Problems  |