Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health Matters for Women[TM] E-Newsletter Update

Title: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Health Matters for Women[TM] E-Newsletter Update

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

Bookmark and Share

Health Matters for Women newsletter from the CDC - US Department of Health and Human Services - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Health Matters for Women

February 2015

Improve Black Women's Health

During African American (Black) History Month, we highlight opportunities to address issues that impact the health of black women in our communities.

              Improve Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment

Female Breast Cancer Death Rates by Race and Ethnicity, U.S. 1999-2011

                  Source: Breast Cancer Rates by Race and Ethnicity

Black women have the highest breast cancer death rates of all racial and ethnic groups and are 40% more likely to die of breast cancer than white women. The reasons for this difference  include having more aggressive cancers and fewer social and economic resources.

To improve this disparity, black women need more timely follow-up and improved access to high-quality treatment.

What can we do to improve breast cancer diagnosis and treatment?

Overview

All women are at risk for breast cancer. Getting screened regularly can lower the risk of dying from breast cancer. Women between 50 and 74 years old should get a mammogram every two years. Those under 50 should talk with their provider about when they should be screened.

Related Healthy People 2020 Objectives

C-3 Reduce the female breast cancer death rate.

C-11 Reduce late-stage female breast cancer.

C-13 Increase the proportion of cancer survivors who are living 5 years or longer after diagnosis.

C-17 Increase the proportion of women who receive a breast cancer screening based on the most recent guidelines.

C-18 Increase the proportion of adults who were counseled about cancer screening consistent with current guidelines.

AHS-1 Increase the proportion of persons with health insurance.

AHS-6 Reduce the proportion of persons who are unable to obtain or delay in obtaining necessary medical care, dental care, or prescription medicines.

Cancer Healthy People 2020 Objectives

Access to Health Services Healthy People 2020 Objectives

More Information

Breast Cancer: What You Need to Know fact sheet [PDF-527KB]

The Road to Better Health A Guide to Promoting Cancer Prevention in Your Community

What Can I Do to Reduce My Risk of Breast Cancer?

Breast Cancer: Know the Risks Infographic

Breast Cancer Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment Infographic

CDC Podcasts
Listen to the latest podcasts on women’s health.

CDC E-Cards
Send women’s health e-cards.

CDC 24/7 - Saving Lives, Protecting People, Saving Money. CDC.gov/24-7 Dept of Health and Human Services Logo Learn Vital Information about Secondhand Smoke
CDC on Facebook CDC on Twitter CDC YouTube Channel

This email was sent to list-cdc@xxxxxxxxxxx using GovDelivery,on behalf of: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention • 1600 Clifton Rd • Atlanta, GA 30333 • 1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) Powered by GovDelivery