CGL Conf Call - May 14 - Meeting Notes

Hi Everyone,

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 16:56 -0700, Dan Cauchy wrote:

> Linux Foundation CGL Conf Call
>
> May 14, 2008

[...]

> o       Joe to send out latest consolidated comments and updates from
> the Collab Summit to the mailing list

I debated quite a bit on what was the best way to present the notes I
collected together from everyone after the Austin meeting, specifically
regarding the SCOPE gaps document and eventually decided to scribble
directly on the PDF.  I hope this works for everyone.  Let me know if
something isn't clear or if it ends up looking like I just grabbed
something out of /dev/urandom.

The other part of the notes come directly from Dan's notes in the open
session (that'd be Day 2 of the collab summit, as opposed to the working
session, which was on Day 3).  I hope I haven't mangled his notes too
much:

CGL Gaps

      * AVL.3.2 ?? force unmount
              * need to split into 3 ?whys?
              * send to LKML with the details on the ?why?
              * this has been discussed before so it should be doable
      * AVL.4.2 ?? replaceable OOM killer
              * configurable OOM killer probably will meet the
                requirement, this req came years ago when there was no
                OOM around
      * AVL.7.1.2 multi-path access to storage
              * Multi path is there
      * AVL.14.0 ? excessive CPU cycle usage detection
              * Arjan Comment: I don?t like the term ?CPU cycle?
              * This is really ?CPU usage time?, not cycle
              * This needs to be reworded
      * AVL.15.0 fast application restart
              * Arjan: I?m concerned about this one
      * AVL.28.0? ? Support of Mlocked Page Limits
              * Arjan: this is not big deal, only concern is that it?s a
                global, implementation will be tricky in scalability,
                but it makes total sense
      * SMM.7.8 ?? Support for User Locked Page Reporting
              * Arjan: I think we have something for this
      * SFA.5.0 ? live app dump trigger
              * Arjan: I think that exists, issue with the term ?live?,
                should be ?non fatal?
      * SFA.6.0 ? system snapshot
              * Corbet: this is there if you trust hibernation code
      * SFA.9.0 ? kernel sampling for profiling
              * Arjan: this is there, see oProfile for #3
      * SFA.14.0 ? Per-Thread CPU Time Limits and Signalling
              * Arjan: I don?t think we have this, we need to check
      * SFA.13.0 ? live application dump
              * Arjan: this is live snapshot, can we specify a limit,
                need an indicator/guideline to how long that is (e.g. is
                it milliseconds?)
      * PRF.1.2 ?? Configurable Scheduler Quantum For Round Robin
        Scheduling Policy
              * Arjan: no more quantum, this is old, doesn?t make sense
                any more
              * Remove
      * PRF1.11 ? priority inheritance inside API
              * Arjan: this is there, I think they mean processes
              * This needs to be put in the deprecated pile and see if
                anyone screams
      * PRF.4.1 - Forwarding tables fast access
              * There is now an O(log(n)) algorithm in 2.6.25, this is
                done
              * Move to satisfied
      * PRF.4.4? ? Low Software Overhead For Message Latency
              * Arjan: I think this is there
      * PRF.11.1 ? app pre loading non-boot
              * Arjan: what do you mean by pre-loading, cause prelink
                exists today
              * Satisfied
      * STD.11.2- Diameter
              * OpenDiameter and OpenRadius exist and should meet this
              * Verify and move to satisfied

Joe MacDonald, Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct 613.270.5750  mobile 613.291.7421  fax 613.592.2283