Fwd: LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

Hi Dan,

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:19 -0700, Dan Kohn wrote:

> Guys, I went out on a limb to propose this, and need CGL participants
> to speak up if you want it to happen.  (MontaVista and WindRiver, this
> means you.)  The following questions were raised on the LSB list and
> call:

We started discussing this internally at WR literally within a few hours
(Sunday afternoon, actually) of you sending out the initial note and I
can say that from our point of view this is a huge step forward.  I was
going to write up an on-list response but I've just been red-lined
pretty much all week.  I'm really sorry about that, a lack of a response
from us isn't intended to convey a lack of interest or enthusiasm.

> + Is the name "LSB 3.2 CGL Profile" OK, as using the term embedded
> confuses some folks?

I don't want to put any words in anyone's mouth, but we did talk about
'embedded' here in a couple of different contexts and while I personally
would like "CGL" on it since it has a certain name-brand appeal to it, I
heard a comment (and I completely agree with it) that 'embedded' may
actually lead to wider interest from the community at large and will
help us define the profile as a generally headless, task- rather than
user-oriented platform.

So I would vote for keeping the name 'embedded' and try to work with the
LSB folks to address the concerns they have that makes the name
confusing.  But if I lose the vote and it gets named the 'CGL' profile,
I'll be happy enough with it anyway.

> + Do the distros that you're LSB 4.0 registering include qt and gtk
> today?  If so, you wouldn't be able to certify under this profile.
> Could you please confirm that you're shipping non-GUI distros today.

Wind River's CGL-registered distros on the market today are CLI-only if
you're using our default configurations.

> + Could you please list some of the most important closed source
> applications that run on your CGL distros today?  We would like to
> pull them into the LSB process and convince them of the value of LSB
> certifying.

Obviously the most important closed-source applications are from Wind
River, right?  ;-)

Seriously, though, I'll have to leave that comment and circle back to it
later, or perhaps let Glenn field it.

Joe MacDonald, Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct 613.270.5750  mobile 613.291.7421  fax 613.592.2283