LF - SCOPE Meeting ...

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 23:06 +0300, timo.jokiaho@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks Glenn, I know that you are the one I can always trust on !
>
> Now, what do you think would be the process to formally establish the
> LF-CGL (if that is the name), including electing the leadership ?
> Without these, we can just have SCOPE meeting and declare victory
> (whatever that would be).

Hi Timo,

Since I will be acting as the LF liaison, I'll take a quick run at your
questions.  The leadership from the CGL 4.0 team will largely be the
same players with CGL 5.0.  It is likely that our roles may shift a bit,
but I hope to have the leadership team identified and publicized this
week.  Then we will move ahead on a re-chartered CGL that includes a
pretty well defined CGL/SCOPE relationship.

We have not formally articulated a process yet for assimilating the
content of the SCOPE gaps document into the CGL requirements, but it is
clear that some kind of filter will need to be applied as we articulate
the gaps as requirements.  I have not seen the gaps document yet, but if
there are broad gaps around interoperability, availability, etc., these
will be need to be distilled into something that can be verified
(testable assertions).  For instance, 5 nines or 6 nines availability
would possibly need use case descriptions and measurement criteria.  It
may break down to something like failover times under defined loads or
TCP reconnection times with controlled connection failures.

I suspect that most of our first meeting...and hopefully we can get this
moving before then...will be to make these "gaps to requirements"
definitions.  Part of the exercise will to be determine priority of the
requirements and this will be derived from criteria such as the
criticality of the capability in a use case and the availability of an
implementation (like a PoC) that would address the capability.

While the SCOPE gaps are one source of 5.0 requirements, we still may
get other specific requirements from the carriers directly.

Outside of requirement collection, the CGL 5.0 effort will include the
splitting of the current 4.0 requirements (along with the new 5.0
requirements) into an "already in a mainline" document and a "CGL gaps"
document.  The "already in a mainline" document would be a candidate
list for LSB, while the "CGL gaps" document would be used to engage the
appropriate communities in addressing the gaps.  It is not clear at this
point what 5.0 registration would be (if anything).

Sounds like you had a successful set of SCOPE meetings last week.  At
least you came to the conclusion that CGL and SCOPE needed to meet! :)
We actually have a number of members that ride both sides of the CGL and
SCOPE fence, so I don't foresee huge problems getting this off the
ground.  For SCOPE, the first thing that the CGL workgroup will need is
a draft of the SCOPE CGOS gaps document for evaluation.  I understand
that this document may be a work in progress right now, but the CGL
workgroup will be able to consume them as soon as they are ready for
public consumption.

John