Re: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:33:47 PST, Stephen Samuel said:

> Most of the time, I'd expect that a copycat virus is going to be
> much smaller than the original, since that trick-space is now
> going to be saturated.If there's nothing different in the
> distribution of the virus, then I'd say they were silly to
> presume it was going to be anywhere near as big as MyDoom A.

In general, yes.  However, in this case it was a copycat that
got loose *before* the general population got the meme for "this is
bad, don't click on it".  And remember - they need to get a new
meme for each specific instance, as the average user can't seem to
generalize this. (Hmm.. didn't Stephenson's "Snow Crash" talk about
that? ;)