Re: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:11:49 EST, Larry Seltzer <larry@larryseltzer.com> said:
Second, and more to the point, it takes an extreme view of MyDoom.B that nobody else is
supporting, including the sources they cite. MyDoom.B is a flop.

OK. So let's see. We've got one highly successful virus (MyDoom.A) on the loose at the time of writing, another variant that's essentially identical except for the target, and no clear indication why this one *shouldn't* take off as well.

Most of the time, I'd expect that a copycat virus is going to be much smaller than the original, since that trick-space is now going to be saturated.If there's nothing different in the distribution of the virus, then I'd say they were silly to presume it was going to be anywhere near as big as MyDoom A. -- Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426 samuel@bcgreen.com http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/ Powerful committed communication. Transformation touching the jewel within each person and bringing it to light.