Re: Buffer overflow prevention

Theo de Raadt wrote:

> But then a problem shows up.  When you use shared libraries, you end
> up with code followed by data followed by code followed by data etc.
> Since you only have one line you can draw in the address space,
> clearly you can't make this work!

Do you know the DOS EXE format? The File contains Code using Offsets in
different Segments. The Loader may move any Segment to any location in
the available memory. To make this possible, the EXE file contains a
relocation table of offsets in the code segment(s) that have to be
modified after loading the segments into memory.
This could be don to shared libraries, too.

> In OpenBSD, we've done steps up to 4.

Okay, this means you have already implemented what I meant.

--
 * Origin: (2:2480/8057.2)