Re: [VulnDiscuss] Re: Arbitrary Command Execution on DistributorSQL Server 2000 machines (#NISR22002002A)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-038.asp fixes

A buffer overrun vulnerability that occurs in several Database Consistency
Checkers (DBCCs) that ship as part of SQL Server 2000. DBCCs are command
console utilities that allow maintenance and other operations to be
performed on a SQL Server. While many of these are executable only by
sysadmin, some are executable by members of the db_owner and db_ddladmin
roles as well. In the most serious case, exploiting this vulnerability
would enable an attacker to run code in the context of the SQL Server
service, thereby giving the attacker complete control over all databases
on the server.

A SQL injection vulnerability that occurs in two stored procedures used in
database replication. One of these can only be run by users who have been
assigned the db_owner role; the other, due to a permissions error, could
be run by any user who could log onto the server interactively. Exploiting
the vulnerability could enable an attacker to run operating system
commands on the server, but is subject to significant mitigating factors
as discussed below.

and MS02-043 is (from the MS site)

This is a cumulative patch that includes the functionality of all
previously released patches for SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. In
addition, it eliminates a newly discovered vulnerability.

In the first bulletin MS credits Cesar and in the second they credit David
Litchfield and Chip Andrews.

They look pretty simular to me but MS seems to think that these are two
seperate issues.  Has anyone tested the original MS patch MS02-038 to see
if it actually fixes the problem?

Regards;

Steve Manzuik
Moderator