Gravity Storm Service Pack Manager 2000 Share Vulnerability

On a default installation of Service Pack Manager 2000 for WindowsNT and
2000 by Gravity Storm Software, the software creates a hidden share
called SPM2000c$. This share is mapped to C:\. In all cases I found
critical directories readable and at times (depending on the OS
configuration) writeable to everyone remotely.

I found the following directory at least readable:

C:\winnt\system32\repair

I found

C:\winnt\system32

directory writable.

The impact should be obvious.

I contacted the software vendor. They uploaded a new version of their
software: they reported that it should not have this problem. I cannot
verify this because I did not test it.

Apart from this vulnerability, I must say that I liked the software when
I reviewed it. (But if you don't like it, don't blame me!) To quote
their website (since I'm tired tonight), "It allows to manage Windows
NT/2000 Service Packs and Hotfixes on the enterprise network in a
cost-efficient way. You can remotely detect, track, monitor, and install
Service Packs and Hotfixes on your network."

I am not associated with Gravity Storm Software. But, perhaps they might
give me a free licenced copy should I increase their sales. :)

They can be found at:
http://www.securitybastion.com/

Cheers,
'ken'@FTU

--
"I grew convinced that truth, sincerity and integrity in dealings
between man and man were of the utmost importance to the felicity of