Re: OpenSSH rebuild warning: problems avoiding zlib problems in Solaris

>On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Lisa Bogar wrote:
>
>> By the way ... Sun will NOT be producing a patch for zlib.  Its Freeware
>> so they don't patch those.  I checked with Sun when the zlib problem
>> surfaced earlier this week.  You should not count on overriding the old
>> version of zlib, but instead uninstall and then reinstall the new pkg.
>
>This is a bit annoying, as zlib lives in the SUNWzlib and SUNWzlibx
>packages that come on the Software Disc 2 of Solaris 8.  Both the
>package names and locations would normally imply it was supported.

THEY ARE SUPPORTED PACKAGES.

Lisa is blowing smoke.

We are working on patches; the second copy of zlib (zlibx) is an historical
accident because it was unsure zlib would make Solaris 8 in /usr/lib.

Furthermore, it appears that our libc's malloc catches double frees
in several ways; that may also lower the risk somewhat.

(We have 10 more malloc libraries, I think, so beware)

Casper