Re: OpenSSH rebuild warning: problems avoiding zlib problems in Solaris

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Lisa Bogar wrote:

> By the way ... Sun will NOT be producing a patch for zlib.  Its Freeware
> so they don't patch those.  I checked with Sun when the zlib problem
> surfaced earlier this week.  You should not count on overriding the old
> version of zlib, but instead uninstall and then reinstall the new pkg.

This is a bit annoying, as zlib lives in the SUNWzlib and SUNWzlibx
packages that come on the Software Disc 2 of Solaris 8.  Both the
package names and locations would normally imply it was supported.

On the other hand, the only Sun-distributed products that depend
on it are on the (explicitly unsupported) Companion Software CD.

I'll check with Sun this afternoon and see what they tell me.

Thomas Insel
tinsel@tinsel.org