Re: Unifying signed and unsigned min/max tracking

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 09:14:08PM +0800, Shung-Hsi Yu wrote:
> [...]
>                      +
>     <--------------------> C
>     |--------------------*********---|
>     <----------------------------> D
>
> The results falls into the following u65 range
>
>     |--------------------*********---|-------------------------------|
>   + |----------********************--|-------------------------------|
>
>     |------------------------------**|**************************-----|
>
> This result can be tracked with base + size approach just fine. Where the
> base and size are as follow
>
>     <------------------------------> base = A + C
>     |------------------------------**|**************************-----|
>                                    <--------------------------->
>                                       size = (B - A) + (D - C)
>
> ---
>
> Now back to the topic of unification of signed and unsigned range. Using the
> union of bound #1 and bound #2 again as an example (size = B - A, and
> base = (u64) A + 2^63)
>
>     |**************------------******| union of bound #1 and bound #2
>
> And look at it's wrapped number line form again
>
>                    u64                         same u64 wrapped
>     <--------------------------> base
>     |**************------------******|*************------------******|
>                                <------------------> size
>
> Now add in the s64 range and align both u64 range and s64 at 0, we can see
> what previously was a bound that umin/umax cannot track is simply a valid
> smin/smax bound (idea drawn from patch [2]).
>
>                                      0
>     |**************------------******|*************------------******|
>                     |----------********************--|
>                                     s64
>
> The question now is be what is the "signed" base so we proceed to calculate
> the smin/smax. Note that base starts at 0, so for s64 the line that
> represents base doesn't start from the left-most location.
> (OTOH size stays the same, so we know it already)
>
>                                     s64
>                                      0
>                                <-----> signed base = ?
>                     |----------********************--|
>                                <------------------> size is the same
>
> If we put u64 range back into the picture again, we can see that the "signed
> base" was, in fact, just base casted into s64, so there's really no need for
> a "signed" base at all
>
>     <--------------------------> base
>     |**************------------******|
>                                      0
>                                <-----> signed base = (s64) base
>                     |----------********************--|
>
> Which shows base + size approach capture signed and unsigned bounds at the
> same time. Or at least its the best attempt I can make to show it.
>
> One way to look at this is that base + size is just a generalization of
> umin/umax, taking advantage of the fact that the similar underlying hardware
> is used both for the execution of BPF program and bound tracking.
>
> I wonder whether this is already being done elsewhere, e.g. by PREVAIL or
> some of static code analyzer, and I can just borrow the code from there

As per [1], PREVAIL uses the zone domain[2][3] to track values along with
relationships between values, where as the Linux Kernel tracks values with
min/max (i.e. interval domain) and tnum. In short, PREVAIL does not use this
trick, but I guess it probably don't need to since it's already using
something that considered to be more advanced.

Also, found some research papers on this topic referring to it as Wrapped
Intervals[4] or Modular Interval Domain[5]. The former has an MIT-licensed
C++ implementation[6] available as reference.

1: https://pchaigno.github.io/ebpf/2023/09/06/prevail-understanding-the-windows-ebpf-verifier.html
2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_bound_matrix#Zone
3: https://github.com/vbpf/ebpf-verifier/blob/6d5ad53/src/crab/split_dbm.hpp
4: https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/2651360