Re: Unifying signed and unsigned min/max tracking

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 01:49:34PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 9:57 PM Shung-Hsi Yu <shung-hsi.yu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 09:50:59AM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:

[...]

> [...]

[...]

> > > A slight alternative, but the same idea, that I had (though after
> > > looking at reg_bounds_sync() I became less enthusiastic about this)
> > > was to unify signed/unsigned ranges by allowing umin u64> umax. That
> > > is, invalid range where umin is greater than umax would mean the wrap
> > > around case (which is also basically smin/smax case when it covers
> > > negative and positive parts of s64/s32 range).
> > >
> > > Taking your diagram and annotating it a bit differently:
> > >
> > > |**************------------******|
> > >              umax        umin
> >
> > Yes, that was exactly that's how I look at it at first (not that
> > surprisingly given I was drawing ideas from you patchset :) ), and it
> > certainly has the benefit of preserving both bounds, where as the base +
> > size approach only preserve one of the bounds, leaving the other to be
> > calculated.
> >
> > The problem I have with allowing umin u64> umax is mostly a naming one, that
> > it would be rather error prone and too easy to assume umin is always smaller
> > than umax (after all, that how it works now); and I can't come up with a
> > better name for them in that form.
>
> min64/max64 and min32/max32 would be my proposal if/when we unify them.

i'm going with start/end for now since it go along quite well with the
number line analogy, where the number line start at at one point and
ends at another; and it should be less assuming about how the values
compares.

Following this logic, `end - start` would be call the length, rather
than size that I've proposed above. Calling size is not that great
because it implies this is the number of values between the two bounds,
but in fact it is off by one, (borrowing from Eduard's email[1]) the
actual number of values N between two bounds is

  N = end - start + 1

1: https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/d7af631802f0cfae20df77fe70068702d24bbd31.camel@xxxxxxxxx/

> > But as you've pointed out both approach are the same idea, if one works so
> > will the other.
> >
> > > It will make everything more tricky, but if someone is enthusiastic
> > > enough to try it out and see if we can make this still understandable,
> > > why not?
> >
> > I'll blindly assume reg_bounds_sync() can be worked out eventually to keep
> > my enthusiasm and look at just the u64/s64 case for now, let see how that
> > goes...
> >

> probably, yes

> > > Very well might be, I've seen some crazy combinations in my testing.
> > > Good thing is that I'm adding a quite exhaustive tests that try all
> > > different boundary conditions. If you check seeds values I used, most
> > > of them are some sort of boundary for signed/unsigned 32/64 bit
> > > numbers. Add to that abstract interpretation model checking, and you
> > > should be able to validate your ideas pretty easily.
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up. Would be glad to see the exhaustive tests being
> > added!
>
> Check [0]. You can run range vs consts (7.7mln cases) with
>
> sudo SLOW_TESTS=1 ./test_progs -a 'reg_bounds_gen_consts*' -j
>
> And range vs range (106mln cases right now) with
>
> sudo SLOW_TESTS=1 ./test_progs -a 'reg_bounds_gen_ranges*' -j
>
> The latter might take a bit, it runs for about 1.5 hours for me.
>
> It's not exhaustive in a strict sense of this word, as we can't really
> try all possible u64/s64 ranges, ever. But it tests a lot of edge
> values on the border between min/max values for u32/s32 and u64/s32.
> Give it a try.
>
>   [0] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/list/?series=797178&state=*

Finally gave it a better look today. It looks good. With this I should
be able to easily see how the unified range tracking differs from the
latest implementation once I have conditional jump logic implemented.
I've only got to add/sub/mul so far[2].

2: https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20231108054611.19531-1-shung-hsi.yu@xxxxxxxx/

[...]