Re: Sockmap's parser/verdict programs and epoll notifications

Andrii Nakryiko wrote:

> > That's a step in the right direction for sure, but I still think that
> > Google's auto-lowat is the best approach. We just need a hook that
> > looks at incoming data and sets rcvlowat appropriately. That's it.
> > TCP looks at rcvlowat in a number of places to make protocol decisions,
> > not just the wake-up. Plus Google will no longer have to carry their
> > OOT patch..
>
> David can correct me, but when he tried the SO_RCVLOWAT approach to
> solving this problem, he saw no improvements (and it might have
> actually been a regression in terms of behavior). I'd say that this
> sounds a bit suspicious and we have plans to get back to SO_RCVLOWAT
> and try to understand the behavior a bit better.

Not sure how large your packets are but you might need to bump your
sk_rcvbuf size as well otherwise even if you set SO_RCVLOWAT you can
hit memory pressure which will wake up the application regardless
iirc.

> I'll just say that the simpler the solution - the better. And if this
> rcvlowat hook gets us the ability to delay network notification to
> user-space until a full logical packet (where packet size is provided
> by BPF program without user space involvement) is assembled (up to
> some reasonable limits, of course), that would be great.

When we created the sockmap/sockhash maps and verdict progs, etc. one
of the goals was to avoid touching the TCP code paths as much as
possible. We also wanted to work on top of KTLS. Maybe you wouldn't
need it, but if you need to read a header across multiple skbs that
is hard without something to reconstruct them. Perhaps here you
could get away without needing this though.

I'll still fix the parser program and start working on simplifying
the verdict programs so they can run without maps and so on because
it helps other use cases. Maybe it will end up working for this
case or you find a simpler mechanism.