Re: [Bpf] Review of draft-thaler-bpf-isa-01

Watson, thank you!

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 5:36 PM Watson Ladd <watsonbladd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear David,
>
> Thank you very much for your lengthy and kind email. I agree that we
> should punt on contentious points and aim to standardize what has
> already been implemented across a wide range of implementations. Most
> of my issues are with the format and presentation of the text, and I
> think the content changes it would take are pretty noncontenous. I
> don't really have any insight into what the content should be, and I'm
> sure that for those who live and breath BPF every day, much of what I
> am confused about is indeed obvious.
>
> Concretely I think the following would help improve the
> understandability of the document:
> * After the register paragraph, describe the memory. As I understand
> it it is a 64 bit, byte addressed, flat space, and maps are just
> special regions in it. Maybe I'm wrong. There's some stuff about types
> in the big space of instructions that maybe makes me think I am wrong.
> * Say this is a 2's complement architecture

I just wanted to quickly follow up on this ... I, too, believe that we
should say this in the ISA and put forward a patch with some language.
You can see the discussion about that here:
https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20230710215818.gCPVzgaK-YEXRFNixwcVrMLKlkiM0FqkQbUytFlDTQQ@z/

Thank you, again, for the conversation!
Will