Re: Packaging bpftool and libbpf: GitHub or kernel?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 7:46 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The converse of this is also true: if your system is upgraded to a new
> >> kernel version with new BPF features, the libbpf version should follow
> >> it, and all applications linked against it will automatically take
> >> advantage of any bugfixes regardless without having to wait for each
> >> application to be updated.
> >
> > No, if my application was not developed to take advantage of a new
> > kernel feature, newer libbpf will do nothing for me. If my application
> > wants to support that feature, I'll update my application and
> > correspondingly update libbpf embedded in it. If my application is
> > affected by some bug fix, I'll update libbpf even faster than distros
> > will get to it.
>
> You may do that, but you're also someone who is following the
> development of libbpf closely and pay attention to when bugs appear. Not
> all applications developers have the same vigilance for all the
> libraries they rely on. Which is the reason distros generally take on
> the responsibility of ensuring their users receive timely library
> updates.

The discussion was about bpftool, veristat, and retsnoop. "You may do
that" applies to all of them. I'm not forcing anyone else to follow
the same approach (e.g., I'm not forcing perf to vendor libbpf, for
example), I'm just opposing someone else forcing us (bpftool,
veristat, retsnoop) to not vendor libbpf.

> > I've heard all such arguments over the last few years. They are not
> > convincing and my own practical experience shows irrelevance of the
> > above argument.
>
> I don't doubt your personal experience, I'm just objecting to you
> dismissing other points of view just because you haven't experienced
> them yourself.

I acknowledged the security argument. And disagreeing and dismissing
are two big differences. So yes, I don't think the security argument
outweighs all the downsides of not controlling the exact libbpf
version my application relies on. And specifically for libbpf-related
use cases, libbpf-using applications are running under root. They are
not supposed to accept untrusted ELF files. So even if there is some
bug leading to crashes or some malfunction, I don't buy the
"emergency, we need to update all libbpf-using apps ASAP" argument,
sorry.

> >> Libbpf is really no different from any other library here, and I really
> >> don't get why you keep insisting it's "special"...
> >
> > It's special in the sense that it provides two sets of APIs -- for
> > user-space (typical libraries) and BPF object files. Besides that, for
> > BPF-side it's not even a set of APIs (headers, helpers, etc), it also
> > provides some set of functionality that can improve or be extended
> > over time. E.g., libbpf used to not support non-inlined BPF
> > subprograms, and then it started supporting them. In terms of API/ABI
> > -- nothing changed. Yet the change is very important.
>
> Lots of libraries do that. File format libraries support new format
> features without changing their API, networking libraries support new
> protocol features, etc. So again, libbpf is not special in this
> respect.

I didn't mean to start a "which library is the most special" contest.
The original point was about libbpf 1.0 stability of API, and that was
my objection, because it's not just about available APIs and their
stability. And libbpf is not used for the sake of using libbpf, it is
used with (usually embedded) BPF object file(s) that application is
expected to work, including any new SEC() support, global variables,
etc, etc.

> > Now, I build a tool that is using libbpf and some BPF functionality,
> > e.g., retsnoop. Libbpf just got SEC("ksyscall") support. Retsnoop
> > wants to take advantage of it. I just go and use SEC("ksyscall")
> > programs in .bpf.c files that are embedded inside retsnoop.
> > I don't have to *and don't want to* do feature detection of whether a
> > particular libbpf version that happens to be installed/packaged on the
> > system supports this version. I *know* it does, because I control it,
> > through a submodule. That's what I care about.
>
> Right, so just require a minimum version of the library where the API
> you want to use is available. That is pretty standard and distros deal
> with this all the time. This is not an argument for static linking or
> vendoring...

bpftool can't do that due to use of internal APIs. For others
(retsnoop, veristat), I don't want to be restricted by the released
libbpf version, or by expecting that the target system has new enough
libbpf installed.

> > Whether some distro insists on libbpf being shared across any
> > libbpf-using application or not is none of my concern. Libbpf is an
> > implementation detail of my application (retsnoop), it's not for the
> > packager to decide how I develop and structure my tool.
>
> Right, well, you don't *have* to be cooperative with the wider
> ecosystem, of course. Just as packagers don't have to follow your
> recommendations if they have good reasons not to. I believe we've had
> this discussion before, and I don't think we're going to agree this time
> around either, so let's not waste any more virtual ink on rehashing it :)

Exactly, so I'm not sure why we are even having this conversation all
over again. I agree on not wasting virtual ink anymore. I'm not
forcing anyone to follow my advice, I expect others to not force me to
follow theirs.