Re: Packaging bpftool and libbpf: GitHub or kernel?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 7:14 AM Shung-Hsi Yu <shung-hsi.yu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 07:41:32PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:

> > > Are we discussing a *standard* Git submodule feature and argue that
> > > because it might be cumbersome or unfamiliar to some engineers that
> > > projects should avoid using Git submodules?
> >
> > As far as I am aware they are unfamiliar to *most* engineers, and for
> > good reasons.
> >
> > > For one, I don't have any special aliases for dealing with Git
> > > submodules and it works fine. If I jump between branches or tags which
> > > update Git submodule reference, I do above `git submodule update
> > > --init --recursive` explicitly if I see that Git status shows
> > > out-of-sync Git submodule state. If I want to update a Git submodule,
> > > I update the submodule's Git repo, and then git add it in the repo
> > > that uses this submodule. I haven't run into any other issues with
> > > this.
> >
> > You know, git could just handle submodules automagically. As you say,
> > it's not rocket science. For historical reasons it does not.
> >
> > With that working with submodules is cumbersome, and it's additional
> > thing that can break down that the engineer needs to be constantly aware
> > of increasing the mental overhead of working with such projects.
> >
> > It may not be much of a problem for people who work with such projects
> > daily but not everyone does. Those who don't need to do the mental
> > switch whenever submodules are encountered, and are prone to getting
> > issues when they forget that they have to go that extra mile for this
> > specific project.
>
> For me it's less about having to go through the extra loop. It's that
> submodules would require git to be installed, network access, which all adds
> extra moving parts compared to a tarball...

> and having libbpf included in bpftool release means the complain above no
> longer holds. Though I have yet test build the mirror version of libbpf and
> bpftool like Michal has done.

Great. This seems to work well for other tools that use libbpf through
submodule (anakryiko/retsnoop and libbpf/veristat on Github)

> > > What do you mean by "CO-RE toolchain"? bpftool, veristat, retsnoop,
> > > etc are tools. The fact they are using statically linked libbpf
> > > through Git submodule is irrelevant to end users. You need one libbpf
> > > in the system (for those who link dynamically against libbpf), the
> > > rest are just tools.

> > > That's up to tools, not libbpf. You are over pivoting on libbpf here.
> > > There is one view of the kernel, it depends on what features the
> > > kernel supports. If the tool requires some specific functionality of
> > > libbpf, it will update its Git submodule reference to get a version of
> > > libbpf that provides that feature. That's the point, an
> > > application/tool is in control of what kind of features it gets from
> > > libbpf.
>
> Since libbpf has a stable API & ABI, is it theoretically possible for
> bpftool, veristat, retsnoop, etc. all share the same version of libbpf?

No, because libbpf is not just a set of APIs. Newer libbpf versions
support more BPF-side features, more kernel features, etc, etc. Libbpf
is not a typical user-space library, it is a BPF loader, and even if
user-visible API doesn't change, libbpf's support for various BPF-side
features is extended. Which is important for tools like bpftool,
retsnoop, veristat which rely on loading and working with BPF object
files.

> What I'd like to do it build libbpf and bpftool out of bpftool GitHub
> mirror's release tarball (w/ submodule included, which exists now for
> snapshot). For the rest of the tool that does not depends on libbpf private
> function, have them dynamically link to the libbpf built from bpftool's
> source, just like how libelf is dynamically linked.

Please don't do it, let applications control which libbpf versions
they are using. It's not just about user space APIs, I can't emphasize
this enough. Don't think you know better than developers of respective
applications, don't try to dictate how those applications should be
organized and developed.

One good example is iproute2, which chose to link (or not) with libbpf
dynamically. Now users periodically report various issues where their
BPF object files are not loaded, and it often comes down to unexpected
version of libbpf (or lack of libbpf support altogether) which which
iproute2 was built/deployed. This is just putting a burden on iproute2
users, and accidentally libbpf maintainers, for no good reason.

> I'm not saying that those tools should not have libbpf as submodule; as
> submodule do look useful. But for packaging I really would like to have the
> option of choosing the exact version of libbpf being used.

The exact version of libbpf used by bpftool, retsnoop, veristat, etc
*is not relevant* to you as a packager. If you want happy users, use
*exact* version of libbpf from submodule to build them, with which
application was developed, tested, and advertised supported BPF
features. There is no reuse to be done here, they all can be on
different (and sometimes not yet released) libbpf version. For good
reasons, which are outside of your control as a packager.