Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] XDP metadata for TX

On 03/03/2023 08.42, Magnus Karlsson wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 21:16, Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 6:17 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 3:22 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stanislav Fomichev <sdf@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'd like to discuss a potential follow up for the previous "XDP RX
metadata" series [0].

Now that we can access (a subset of) packet metadata at RX, I'd like to
explore the options where we can export some of that metadata on TX. And
also whether it might be possible to access some of the TX completion
metadata (things like TX timestamp).

IMHO it makes sense to see TX metadata as two separate operations.

 (1) Metadata written into the TX descriptor.
 (2) Metadata read when processing TX completion.

These operations happen at two different points in time. Thus likely
need different BPF hooks.   Having BPF-progs running at each of these
points in time, will allow us to e.g. implement BQL (which is relevant
to XDP queuing effort).

I'm currently trying to understand whether the same approach I've used
on RX could work at TX. By May I plan to have a bunch of options laid
out (currently considering XSK tx/compl programs and XDP tx/compl
programs) so we have something to discuss.

I've been looking at ways of getting a TX-completion hook for the XDP
queueing stuff as well. For that, I think it could work to just hook
into xdp_return_frame(), but if you want to access hardware metadata
it'll obviously have to be in the driver. A hook in the driver could
certainly be used for the queueing return as well, though, which may
help making it worth the trouble :)

Yeah, I'd like to get to completion descriptors ideally; so nothing
better than a driver hook comes to mind so far :-(

As Toke mentions, I'm also hoping we could leverage or extend the
xdp_return_frame() call.  Or implicitly add the "hook" at the existing
xdp_return_frame() call. This is about operation (2) *reading* some
metadata at TX completion time.
Can this be mapped to the RX-kfuncs approach(?), by driver extending
(call/structs) with pointer to TX-desc + adaptor info and BPF-prog/hook
doing TX-kfuncs calls into driver (that knows how to extract completion
data).

[...]
Well, to me XDP_REDIRECT is the most interesting one (see above). I
think we could even drop the XDP_TX case and only do this for
XDP_REDIRECT, since XDP_TX is basically a special-case optimisation.
I.e., it's possible to XDP_REDIRECT back to the same device, the frames
will just take a slight detour up through the stack; but that could also
be a good thing if it means we'll have to do less surgery to the drivers
to implement this for two paths.

It does have the same challenge as you outlined above, though: At that
point the TX descriptor probably doesn't exist, so the driver NDO will
have to do something else with the data; but maybe we can solve that
without moving the hook into the driver itself somehow?

Ah, ok, yeah, I was putting XDP_TX / XDP_REDIRECT under the same
"transmit something out of xdp_rx hook" umbrella. We can maybe come up
with a skb-like-private metadata layout (as we've discussed previously
for skb) here as well? But not sure it would solve all the problems?

This is operation (1) writing metadata into the TX descriptor.
In this case we have a metadata mapping problem, from RX on one device
driver to TX on another device driver. As you say, we also need to map
this SKBs, which have a fairly static set of metadata.

For the most common metadata offloads (like TX-checksum, TX-vlan) I
think it makes sense to store those in xdp_frame area (use for SKB
mapping) and re-use these when at TX writing into the TX descriptor.

BUT there are also metadata TX offloads offloads, like asking for a
specific Launch-Time for at packet, that needs a more flexible approach.

I'm thinking of an af_xdp case where it wants to program something
similar to tso/encap/tunneling offload (assuming af_xdp will get 4k+
support) or a checksum offload. Exposing access to the driver tx hooks
seems like the easiest way to get there?

- AF_XDP TX - this one needs something deep in the driver (due to tx
zc) to populate the descriptors?

Yeah, this one is a bit more challenging, but having a way to process
AF_XDP frames in the kernel before they're sent out would be good in any
case (for things like policing what packets an AF_XDP application can
send in a cloud deployment, for instance). Would be best if we could
consolidate the XDP_REDIRECT and AF_XDP paths, I suppose...

I agree, it would be best if we can consolidate the XDP_REDIRECT and
AF_XDP paths, else we have to re-implement the same for AF_XDP xmit path
(and maintain both paths). I also agree that being able to police what
packets an AF_XDP application can send is a useful feature (e.g. cloud
deployments).

Looking forward to collaborate on this work!
--Jesper