Re: [RFC bpf-next 00/12] Use uapi kernel headers with vmlinux.h

On Mon, 2022-11-14 at 13:50 -0800, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 1:13 PM Eduard Zingerman <eddyz87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Is it any chance '-E' could output the same one as '-cc1 -ast-print'?
> > > That is, even with -E we could do some semantics analysis
> > > as well, using either current clang semantics analysis or creating
> > > an minimal version of sema analysis in preprocessor itself?
> >
> > Sema drives consumption of tokens from Preprocessor. Calls to
> > Preprocessor are done on a parsing recursive descent. Extracting a
> > stream of tokens would require an incremental parser instead.
> >
> > A minimal version of such parser is possible to implement for C.
> > It might be the case that matching open / closing braces and
> > identifiers following 'struct' / 'union' / 'enum' keywords might be
> > almost sufficient but I need to try to be sure (e.g. it is more
> > complex for 'typedef').
> >
> > I can work on it but I don't think there is a chance to upstream this work.
>
> Right. It's going to be C only.
> C++ with namespaces and nested class decls won't work with simple
> type parser.
>
> On the other side if we're asking preprocessor to look for
> 'struct foo' and remember that 'foo' is a type
> maybe we can add a regex-search instead?
> It would be a bit more generic and will work for basic
> union/struct foo definition?
> Something like instead of:
> #if __is_type_defined(foo)
> use:
> #if regex(struct[\t]+foo)
>
> enums are harder in this approach, but higher chance to land?
>
> regex() would mean "search for this pattern in the file until this line.
>
> Or some other preprocessor "language" tricks?

I talked to Yonhong today and he suggests to investigate whether pre-processor
changes could be made BPF target specific. E.g. there are extension points
in the clang pre-processor right now but those for tooling. There might be
a way to extend this mechanism to allow target specific pre-processor behavior.
I'll take a look and write another email here.