Re: [RFC bpf-next 00/12] Use uapi kernel headers with vmlinux.h

On Fri, 2022-10-28 at 11:56 -0700, Yonghong Song wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > Ok, could we change the problem to detecting if some type is defined.
> > Would it be possible to have something like
> >
> > #if !__is_type_defined(struct abc)
> > struct abc {
> > };
> > #endif
> >
> > I think we talked about this and there were problems with this
> > approach, but I don't remember details and how insurmountable the
> > problem is. Having a way to check whether some type is defined would
> > be very useful even outside of -target bpf parlance, though, so maybe
> > it's the problem worth attacking?
>
> Yes, we discussed this before. This will need to add additional work
> in preprocessor. I just made a discussion topic in llvm discourse
>
> https://discourse.llvm.org/t/add-a-type-checking-macro-is-type-defined-type/66268
>
> Let us see whether we can get some upstream agreement or not.

I did a small investigation of this feature.

The main pre-requirement is construction of the symbol table during
source code pre-processing, which implies necessity to parse the
source code at the same time. It is technically possible in clang, as
lexing, pre-processing and AST construction happens at the same time
when in compilation mode.

The prototype is available here [1], it includes:
- Change in the pre-processor that adds an optional callback
  "IsTypeDefinedFn" & necessary parsing of __is_type_defined
  construct.
- Change in Sema module (responsible for parsing/AST & symbol table)
  that installs the appropriate "IsTypeDefinedFn" in the pre-processor
  instance.

However, this prototype builds a backward dependency between
pre-processor and semantic analysis. There are currently no such
dependencies in the clang code base.

This makes it impossible to do pre-processing and compilation
separately, e.g. consider the following example:

$ cat test.c

  struct foo { int x; };

  #if __is_type_defined(foo)
    const int x = 1;
  #else
    const int x = 2;
  #endif

$ clang -cc1 -ast-print test.c -o -

  struct foo {
      int x;
  };
  const int x = 1;

$ clang -E test.c -o -

  # ... some line directives ...
  struct foo { int x; };
  const int x = 2;

Note that __is_type_defined is computed to different value in the
first and second calls. This is so because semantic analysis (AST,
symbol table) is not done for -E.

It also breaks that C11 standard which clearly separates
pre-processing and semantic analysis phases, see [2] 5.1.1.2.

So, my conclusion is as follows: this is technically possible in clang
but has no chance to reach llvm upstream.

Thanks,
Eduard

[1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/compare/main...eddyz87:llvm-project:is-type-defined-experiment
[2] https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1548.pdf