Re: Build error of samples/bpf

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 08:18:10PM +0000, Daniel Müller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 09:18:43AM -0700, sdf@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On 07/13, Zeng, Oak wrote:
> > > Thank you sdf for the reply.
> >
> > > It is news to me that samples/bpf tend to go stale. When I looked the
> > > samples/bpf folder git history, the last update is from only 2 months
> > > ago. And yes I can see samples/bfp is not actively updated recently. We
> > > are from Intel's GPU group and we are working on some bpf tools for GPU
> > > profiling purpose. We made our work based on the structure of
> > > samples/bpf because we can conveniently use libbpf. We chose bpf c
> > > frontend (vs python frontend) because python bpf program seems can't
> > > execute under non-root leading to some security concerns. This work is
> > > not yet upstream but we planned to upstream it.
> >
> > I'm mostly talking from the following perspective:
> > http://vger.kernel.org/bpfconf2022_material/lsfmmbpf2022-bpf-ci.pdf
> >
> > BPF maintainers have a CI that continuously builds and runs
> > tools/testing/selftests/bpf. I don't think it includes samples/bpf;
> > that's what I mean by "go stale". Eventually, people fix samples, but
> > there is no continuous system to verify they are healthy.
>
> I am looking into some aspects of the CI. I will see what it would take to
> build and/or test samples/bpf in an automated fashion there.

For what it's worth, we now [0] have samples/bpf built in BPF CI. Here is an
example run: https://github.com/kernel-patches/bpf/runs/7527372083 (it may not
be possible for folks not part of the organization to see detailed logs, but you
should be able to see the "Build samples" step)

Thanks,
Daniel

[0] https://github.com/kernel-patches/vmtest/pull/98