Re: Build error of samples/bpf

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 8:35 AM Zeng, Oak <oak.zeng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you sdf for the reply.

please don't top post in mailing list, reply inline instead

> It is news to me that samples/bpf tend to go stale. When I looked the samples/bpf folder git history, the last update is from only 2 months ago. And yes I can see samples/bfp is not actively updated recently. We are from Intel's GPU group and we are working on some bpf tools for GPU profiling purpose. We made our work based on the structure of samples/bpf because we can conveniently use libbpf. We chose bpf c frontend (vs python frontend) because python bpf program seems can't execute under non-root leading to some security concerns. This work is not yet upstream but we planned to upstream it.
>
> Now if samples/bpf is going stale, we need to change our plan. Specifically I have a few questions for our future planning:
>
> 1. does bpf community accept more bpf samples such as using bpf to kprobe/tracepoint GPU activities? Is such work helpful/welcome to/by the community? I can see the existing samples and selftest are mainly for general linux profiling such as fs, network etc. Do you accept more samples for specific driver profiling - in our case it is profiling of Intel's i915 GPU driver.

Generic BPF tools are generally put into BCC/libbpf-tools ([0]). If
they are very specialized and niche, it might not be accepted. But I'd
try there first.

As for samples/bpf, no we don't add any new things there. It should
either be a selftest-like and go into selftests/bpf, or it should be
outside of the kernel repo.

  [0] https://github.com/iovisor/bcc/tree/master/libbpf-tools

> 2. Should we port our samples/bpf to tools/testing/selftests/bpf for upstream purpose? I am not sure whether tools/testing/selftests/bpf is a good place for our gpu profiling samples. If tools/testing/selftests/bpf is not a good place for gpu profilers, any suggestion where we can upstream our gpu profilers?

If the BPF part of such profilers is complicated and stresses BPF
verifier, we can put those up as "BPF verifier scalability" tests (see
bpf_verif_scale.c in selftests/bpf), it's good to have real-world
complicated examples there to detect regressions. But tool itself
probably should be in libbpf-tools or in some dedicated repo.

> Cc other bpf reviewers. Thank you for your considerations!
>
> Thanks,
> Oak

[...]