Re: Signedness of char in BTF

On 7/21/22 7:31 AM, Lorenz Bauer wrote:
Hi Yonghong and Andrii,

I have some questions re: signedness of chars in BTF. According to [1] BTF_INT_ENCODING() may be one of SIGNED, CHAR or BOOL. If I read [2] correctly the signedness of char is implementation defined. Does this mean that I need to know which implementation generated the BTF to interpret CHAR correctly?

Somewhat related, how to I make clang emit BTF_INT_CHAR in the first place? I've tried with clang-14, but only ever get

     [6] INT 'unsigned char' size=1 bits_offset=0 nr_bits=8 encoding=(none)
     [6] INT 'char' size=1 bits_offset=0 nr_bits=8 encoding=SIGNED

The kernel seems to agree that CHAR isn't a thing [3].

clang does not generate BTF_INT_CHAR.

BTFTypeInt::BTFTypeInt(uint32_t Encoding, uint32_t SizeInBits,
                       uint32_t OffsetInBits, StringRef TypeName)
    : Name(TypeName) {
  // Translate IR int encoding to BTF int encoding.
  uint8_t BTFEncoding;
  switch (Encoding) {
  case dwarf::DW_ATE_boolean:
    BTFEncoding = BTF::INT_BOOL;
    break;
  case dwarf::DW_ATE_signed:
  case dwarf::DW_ATE_signed_char:
    BTFEncoding = BTF::INT_SIGNED;
    break;
  case dwarf::DW_ATE_unsigned:
  case dwarf::DW_ATE_unsigned_char:
    BTFEncoding = 0;  /* INT_UNSIGNED */
    break;
  default:
    llvm_unreachable("Unknown BTFTypeInt Encoding");
  }

pahole does not generate INT_CHAR type either.
in pahole:

static int32_t btf_encoder__add_base_type(struct btf_encoder *encoder, const struct base_type *bt, co
nst char *name)
{
        const struct btf_type *t;
        uint8_t encoding = 0;  /* unsigned */
        uint16_t byte_sz;
        int32_t id;

        if (bt->is_signed) {
                encoding = BTF_INT_SIGNED;
        } else if (bt->is_bool) {
                encoding = BTF_INT_BOOL;
        } else if (bt->float_type && encoder->gen_floats) {
                /* for floats */
        }
}

So for both clang and pahole, CHAR goes to INT_SIGNED or INT_UNSIGNED.

The reason is originally BTF tries to mimic CTF but a
simplified version, and CTF has CTF_TYPE_INT_CHAR, but later on
found BTF_INT_CHAR is not that useful so llvm and pahole
doesn't generate it any more.

The libbpf and kernel still supports BTF_INT_CHAR and when it is used
to print out values it is interpreted as type 'char'.

Thanks!
Lorenz

1: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/bpf/btf.html#btf-kind-int
2: https://stackoverflow.com/a/2054941/19544965