Re: Extending bpf_get_ns_current_pid_tgid()

> I'm resuming work on this and would like to know your opinion and concerns about the following proposal:

Thank you so much for doing this!

> - Add  s_dev from  nsfs to ns_common, so now ns_common will have inode and
> device to identify the namespace, as in the future namespaces will need to match against ino and device.
>
> - That will allow us to remove the call to ns_match on because the values
> checked are now present in ns_common (ino and dev_t).
>
> - Add a new helper named  bpf_get_current_pid_tgid_from_ns that will return
> pid/tgid from the current task if pid ns matches ino and dev supplied by the
> user as now both values are in ns_common.

Maybe that's what you meant but I would express it this way:
  return pid/tgid from the current task as observed from the pid namespace
  matching ino/dev, or return error if the task is outside that pid namespace or
  its descendants (i.e. the pid namespace matching ino/dev can't see the task).

Thanks,
Blaise

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 1:59 PM Yonghong Song <yhs@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/13/20 6:34 AM, carlos antonio neira bustos wrote:
> Hi Blaise and Daniel,
>

> I was following a couple of months ago how bpftrace was going to handle
> this situation. I thought this PR
> https://github.com/iovisor/bpftrace/pull/1602
> <https://github.com/iovisor/bpftrace/pull/1602> was going to be merged
> but just found today that is not working.
>
> I agree with Yonghong Song on the approach of using the two helpers
> (bpf_get_pid_tgid() and bpf_get_ns_current_pid_tgid()) to move forward
> on the short term, bpf_get_ns_current_pid_tgid works as a replacement
> to bpf_get_pid_tgid when you are instrumenting inside a container.
>
> But the use case described by Blaise is one I would like to use bpftrace,
>
> If nobody is against it, I could start working on a new helper to
> address that situation as I need to have bpftrace working in that scenario.

Yes, please. Thanks!

> For my understanding of the problem the new helper should be able to
> return pid/tgid from a target namespace, is that correct?.

Yes. This way, the stack trace can correlate to target namespace for
symbolization purpose.

> Bests

[...]