Re: Extending bpf_get_ns_current_pid_tgid()

On 11/13/20 6:34 AM, carlos antonio neira bustos wrote:
Hi Blaise and Daniel,

I was following a couple of months ago how bpftrace was going to handle this situation. I thought this PR https://github.com/iovisor/bpftrace/pull/1602 <https://github.com/iovisor/bpftrace/pull/1602> was going to be merged but just found today that is not working.

I agree with Yonghong Song on the approach of using the two helpers (bpf_get_pid_tgid() and bpf_get_ns_current_pid_tgid()) to move forward on the short term, bpf_get_ns_current_pid_tgid works as a replacement to bpf_get_pid_tgid when you are instrumenting inside a container.

But the use case described by Blaise is one I would like to use bpftrace,

If nobody is against it, I could start working on a new helper to address that situation as I need to have bpftrace working in that scenario.

Yes, please. Thanks!

For my understanding of the problem the new helper should be able to return pid/tgid from a target namespace, is that correct?.

Yes. This way, the stack trace can correlate to target namespace for
symbolization purpose.

Bests

[...]