Re: [RFC Patch bpf-next] bpf: introduce bpf timer

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2021-05-09 1:37 a.m., Cong Wang wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:34 AM Alexei Starovoitov
> > <alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> [..]
> > I am pretty sure I showed the original report to you when I sent
> > timeout hashmap patch, in case you forgot here it is again:
> > https://github.com/cilium/cilium/issues/5048
> >
> > and let me quote the original report here:
> >
> > "The current implementation (as of v1.2) for managing the contents of
> > the datapath connection tracking map leaves something to be desired:
> > Once per minute, the userspace cilium-agent makes a series of calls to
> > the bpf() syscall to fetch all of the entries in the map to determine
> > whether they should be deleted. For each entry in the map, 2-3 calls
> > must be made: One to fetch the next key, one to fetch the value, and
> > perhaps one to delete the entry. The maximum size of the map is 1
> > million entries, and if the current count approaches this size then
> > the garbage collection goroutine may spend a significant number of CPU
> > cycles iterating and deleting elements from the conntrack map."
> >

> That cilium PR was a good read of the general issues.
> Our use case involves anywhere between 4-16M cached entries.
>
> Like i mentioned earlier:
> we want to periodically, if some condition is met in the
> kernel on a map entry, to cleanup, update or send unsolicited
> housekeeping events to user space.
> Polling in order to achieve this for that many entries is expensive.

Thanks for sharing your use case. As we discussed privately, please
also share the performance numbers you have.

I talked to my colleagues at Bytedance yesterday, we actually have
similar code which periodically collects map entry stats too, currently
we use iterator from user-space, which definitely has the same CPU
overhead.

> I would argue, again, timers generally are useful for a variety
> of house keeping purposes and they are currently missing from ebpf.
> Again, this despite Cong's use case.
> Currently things in the ebpf datapath are triggered by either packets
> showing up or from a control plane perspective by user space polling.
> We need the timers for completion.

Thanks!