Re: Typical way to handle missing macros in vmlinux.h

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 1:20 PM Grant Seltzer Richman
<grantseltzer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 2:43 PM Andrii Nakryiko
> <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:32 AM Grant Seltzer Richman
> > <grantseltzer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I'm attempting to try doing the above. I'm just replacing
> > > bpf_probe_read with bpf_core_read and not importing vmlinux.h, just
> > > all the kernel headers I need.
> >
> > Yes, that will work, bpf_core_read() uses preserve_access_index
> > built-in to achieve the same effect.
> >

> > > When you say "Add that to existing types with the same pragma that
> > > vmlinux.h uses", Should I be able to add the following to my bpf
> > > source file before importing my headers?
> > >
> > > ifndef BPF_NO_PRESERVE_ACCESS_INDEX
> > > #pragma clang attribute push (__attribute__((preserve_access_index)),
> > > apply_to = record)
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > and then pop the attribute at the bottom of the file, or after the
> > > header includes.
> >
> > Yeah, that's the idea and that's what vmlinux.h does for all its
> > structs. It doesn't add __attribute__((preserve_access_index)) after
> > each struct/union. So I wonder why you are getting those unknown
> > attribute errors. Can you paste an example?
>
> Here's a couple examples of the warnings:
>
> ```
> tracee/tracee.bpf.c:5:46: warning: unknown attribute
> 'preserve_access_index' ignored [-Wunknown-attributes]
> #pragma clang attribute push (__attribute__((preserve_access_index)),
> apply_to = record)
>                                              ^
> /lib/modules/5.10.21-200.fc33.x86_64/source/include/linux/ipv6.h:185:1:
> note: when applied to this declaration
> struct ipv6_fl_socklist;
> ^
> tracee/tracee.bpf.c:5:46: warning: unknown attribute
> 'preserve_access_index' ignored [-Wunknown-attributes]
> #pragma clang attribute push (__attribute__((preserve_access_index)),
> apply_to = record)
>                                              ^
> /lib/modules/5.10.21-200.fc33.x86_64/source/include/linux/ipv6.h:187:1:
> note: when applied to this declaration
> struct inet6_cork {
> ```
>
> after these warnings are emitted (it seems as if there's one for every
> data type, though I can't confirm), I get errors that look like this:
>
> ```
> tracee/tracee.bpf.c:445:22: error: nested
> builtin_preserve_access_index() not supported
>     return READ_KERN(READ_KERN(task->thread_pid)->numbers[level].nr);
>                      ^
> tracee/tracee.bpf.c:206:27: note: expanded from macro 'READ_KERN'
>                           bpf_core_read(&_val, sizeof(_val), &ptr); \
> ```
> I believe this is just a result of the warnings above, but if you're
> curious it's what i'm doing here:
> https://github.com/aquasecurity/tracee/blob/core-experiment/tracee-ebpf/tracee/tracee.bpf.c#L204-L208

Looking at your Makefile, you are not using `clang -target bpf` to
compile BPF object files, which is probably what causes you trouble.
preserve_access_index is a BPF target-only attribute. There is no need
to do the legacy clang -emit-llvm | llc, especially when you are using
CO-RE.