Re: libbpf/bpftool inconsistent handling og .data and .bss ?

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 10:40 PM Andrii Nakryiko
<andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 1:31 PM Luigi Rizzo <lrizzo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > TL;DR; there seems to be a compiler bug with clang-10 and -O2
> > when struct are in .data -- details below.
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 8:35 PM Andrii Nakryiko
> > <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This is quite surprising, given we have explicit selftests validating
> > > that all this works. And it seems to work. Please check
> > > prog_tests/skeleton.c and progs/test_skeleton.c. Can you try running
> > > it and confirm that it works in your setup?
> >
> > Ah, this was non intuitive but obvious in hindsight:
> >
> > .bss is zeroed by the kernel after load(), and since my program
> > changed the value before foo_bpf__load() , the memory was overwritten
> > with 0s. I could confirm this by printing the value after load.
> >
> > If I update obj->data-><something> after __load(),
> > or even after __attach() given that userspace mmaps .bss and .data,
> > everything works as expected both for scalars and structs.
>
> Check prog_tests/skeleton.c again, it sets .data, .bss, and .rodata
> before the load. And checks that those values are preserved after
> load. So .bss, if you initialize it manually, shouldn't zero-out what
> you set.

Don't know what to say: it is cleared on my laptop 5.7.17

I printed the values around assignments and calls
(also verified that obj->bss does not change):
Below, x is "uint32_t x = 0" in .bss
struct one { uint32_t a } s = { .a = 2} " in .data
Program output:

before load, obj->bss is 0x7fb0698b6000
initially x is 0 s.a is 2
// x = 1; s.a = 3
before load x is 1 s.a is 3
after load, obj->bss is 0x7fb0698b6000
after load x is 0 s.a is 3 // note x is cleared, s is left alone
// x = 2; s.a = 4;
after assign x is 2 s.a is 4 variables by 10 every 5ms
// attach, when the program runs (every 5ms) does
// if (s.a == 2 || s.a > 10) { x += 10; s.a += 10}
after attach x is 12 s.a is 12
at runtime count_off is 2382 x is 12
at runtime count_off is 2382 x is 12

Could it be some security setting ?

> > > Similarly, the same skeleton selftest tests this situation. So please
> > > check selftests first and report if selftests for some reason don't
> > > work in your case.
> >
> > Actually test_skeleton.c does _not_ test for struct in .data,
> > only in .rodata and .bss
>
> It doesn't matter which section it's in, I meant it's testing struct
> field accesses from at least one of global data sections.

Right but as the llvm-objdump shows, the compiler is treating
.bss and .data differently, at least for struct reads.

> > There seems to be a compiler error, at least with clang-10 and -O2
> >
> > Note how the struct case the compiler uses '2' as immediate value
> > when reading, whereas in the scalar case it correctly dereferences
> > the pointer to the variable
>
> It would be useful to include your original source code, especially
> the variable declaration parts. I suspect that you declared your
> struct variable as a static variable? In that case Clang will assume
> nothing can change the value and can inline values like 2. So either
> make sure you have a global variable declaration or use `static
> volatile`. See how `const volatile` is used throughout all selftests
> when working with the .rodata section.

Perhaps the easiest is to see it on godbolt:

https://godbolt.org/z/Mnx38v

and how clang gets terribly confused when compiling read access
to the struct_in_data field

cheers
luigi