Re: slow sync rcu_tasks_trace

On 9/9/20 10:27 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 02:22:12PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 02:04:47PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 12:48:28PM -0700, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 12:39:00PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

[ . . . ]

My plan is to try the following:

1.	Parameterize the backoff sequence so that RCU Tasks Trace
	uses faster rechecking than does RCU Tasks.  Experiment as
	needed to arrive at a good backoff value.

2.	If the tasks-list scan turns out to be a tighter bottleneck
	than the backoff waits, look into parallelizing this scan.
	(This seems unlikely, but the fact remains that RCU Tasks
	Trace must do a bit more work per task than RCU Tasks.)

3.	If these two approaches, still don't get the update-side
	latency where it needs to be, improvise.

The exact path into mainline will of course depend on how far down this
list I must go, but first to get a solution.

I think there is a case of 4. Nothing is inside rcu_trace critical section.
I would expect single ipi would confirm that.

Unless the task moves, yes.  So a single IPI should suffice in the
common case.

And what I am doing now is checking code paths.

And the following diff from a set of three patches gets my average
RCU Tasks Trace grace-period latencies down to about 20 milliseconds,
almost a 50x improvement from earlier today.

These are still quite rough and not yet suited for production use, but
I will be testing.  If that goes well, I hope to send a more polished
set of patches by end of day tomorrow, Pacific Time.  But if you get a
chance to test them, I would value any feedback that you might have.

These patches do not require hand-tuning, they instead adjust the
behavior according to CONFIG_TASKS_TRACE_RCU_READ_MB, which in turn
adjusts according to CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT.  So you should get the desired
latency reductions "out of the box", again, without tuning.

Great. Confirming improvement :)

time ./test_progs -t trampoline_count
#101 trampoline_count:OK

real	0m2.897s
user	0m0.128s
sys	0m1.527s

This is without CONFIG_TASKS_TRACE_RCU_READ_MB, of course.