Re: Unsupported CONFIG_FPROBE and CONFIG_RETHOOK on ARM64

On Wed, Sep 11, 2024 at 8:18 AM Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 17:37:48 -0700
> Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 5:13 PM Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Sorry about bothering you, let me check that. But I think we eventually
> >
> > You don't bother me, but I'd appreciate a bit more timely replies in
> > the future, if that's OK.
> >
> > > need my fprobe-on-fgraph patch which allows all architecture uses ftrace_regs
> > > instead of pt_regs for ftrace/fgraph users. That allows arm64 to implement
> > > fprobe.
> >
> > Ok, thanks for a bit more context. I understand the end goal with
> > fprobe-on-fgraph, but see below.

> > > I think lesser-supported or not is not a matter, but they need to keep
> > > their architecutre healthy. Mark said that the current rethook
> > > implementation is not acceptable because arm64 can not manually generate
> >
> > I don't see Mark's reply in the link you sent. But did he refer to the
> > code in kprobes_trampoline.S or is it something different?
>
> Sorry, here it is: https://lkml.org/lkml/2022/4/12/2233

Thanks for the link!

> > By lesser-supported I mean that a very important functionality (BPF
> > multi-kprobe, which relies on CONFIG_FPROBE and thus
> > {HAVE|CONFIG}_RETHOOK) is currently still missing. And whether x86-64
> > support landed more than 2 years ago (end of March 2022), the second
> > practically most popular (and thus important for tools and such) ARM64
> > platform still doesn't have this functionality.
> >
> > And that's limiting, BPF multi-kprobes are a huge improvement in
> > tooling usability.
>
> Sorry for inconvenient. But I think this transformation is really
> important.
>
> > So while I get the desire to have a clean and nice
> > end goal, and that it might take a bit longer to get everything right.
> > But, maybe, landing a stop-gap solution meanwhile (especially as
> > isolated and thus easily backportable as the patch [0] you referenced)
> > is an OK path forward?
>
> I had not realized that the PSTATE register was not saved correctly
> at that point. This is one reason why I decided to move in the
> current fprobe-on-fgraph direction.

Sure, but you said yourself, the same problem exists with current
kretprobe implementation, so this won't regress anything. And yes,
your fprobe-on-fgraph series is supposed to fix this for good, which
is great, but that's a separate topic.

> > I'm just lacking full understanding on what exactly the issue is/was,
> > and that's why I'm asking all these questions. I'm not sure if [0] is
> > just broken for some subtle reason, or it is just suboptimal in some
> > sense (performance, code duplication, whatnot)?
>
> If [0] was not broken, I pushed it and the current pt_regs to ftrace_regs
> series is separated series. But it was broken. So I tried to find the
> correct way to fix it, and finally introduced the current fprobe on
> fgraph series. performance improvement is just a side effect.

So, looking at Mark's replies, I didn't get the impression that
something was badly broken (but what do I know about arm64 bits). The
reason I'm asking to implement rethook on arm64 is because the code is
almost there, and so it seems like it would be pretty easy to get this
in. The code doesn't regress anything compared to existing kretprobe
implementation. And there isn't that much code and it seems to be
pretty well contained. This makes it easier to backport to older
production kernels. Which is great thing all in itself.

Mark, what are your thoughts on this? Would you be ok with landing
rethook-for-arm64 as an interim solution while Masami is ironing out
the kinds with his fprobe-on-fgraph solution (which seems to have a
pretty noticeable regression for kprobes, and I'm not sure that's
acceptable; this is being investigated at the moment, cc @Jiri).