Re: [RFC bpf-next 01/10] uprobe: Add session callbacks to uprobe_consumer

On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 10:57 AM Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/05, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> >
> > so any such
> > limitations will cause problems, issue reports, investigation, etc.
>
> Agreed...
>
> > As one possible solution, what if we do
> >
> > struct return_instance {
> >     u64 session_cookies[];
> > };
> >
> > and allocate sizeof(struct return_instance) + 8 *
> > <num-of-session-consumers> and then at runtime pass
> > &session_cookies[i] as data pointer to session-aware callbacks?
>
> I too thought about this, but I guess it is not that simple.
>
> Just for example. Suppose we have 2 session-consumers C1 and C2.
> What if uprobe_unregister(C1) comes before the probed function
> returns?
>
> We need something like map_cookie_to_consumer().

Fair enough. The easy way to solve this is to have

struct uprobe_session_cookie {
    int consumer_id;
    u64 cookie;
};

And add id to each new consumer when it is added to struct uprobe.
Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell when a new consumer was added
to the list (as a front item, but maybe we just change it to be
appended instead of prepending) vs when the old consumer was removed,
so in some cases we'd need to do a linear search.

But the good news is that in the common case we wouldn't need to
search and the next item in session_cookies[] array would be the one
we need.

WDYT? It's still fast, and it's simpler than the shadow stack idea, IMO.

P.S. Regardless, maybe we should change the order in which we insert
consumers to uprobe? Right now uprobe consumer added later will be
executed first, which, while not wrong, is counter-intuitive. And also
it breaks a nice natural order when we need to match it up with stuff
like session_cookies[] as described above.