Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] faster uprobes

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 1:16 PM Kui-Feng Lee <sinquersw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/8/24 07:43, Andrei Matei wrote:

> >> That is true. However, even without bpf_arena, it still works with
> >> some workarounds without going through sys_bpf().
> >
> > Anything making uprobes faster would be very welcomed for my project.  The
> > biggest performance problem for us is the cost of bpf_probe_read_user()
> > relative to raw memory access. Every call to this helper walks the process'
>
> "raw memory access"? Do you mean not going through any helper function,
> reading from a pointer directly?

Right.
I recognize that, as long as bpf runs "in the kernel", one cannot simply
dereference a user-space pointer since the kernel is a different virtual memory
space (*). Still, I wish there bpf_probe_read_user() were faster.

(*) Or, is it indeed a different memory space or is the kernel's virtual
address space mapped into every process? Did this change through KPTI? I would
be curious to read a good resource on what exactly it means to switch from
user-space to the kernel and back, if such a thing exists.

> > page table to check that the access would not cause a fault (I think); this is
> > very slow. I wonder if there's some other option that would keep the safety
> > requirement for the memory access -- I'm imagining an optimistic mode where the
> > raw access is performed (in the target process' memory space) and, in the rare
> > case when a fault happens, the kernel would somehow recover from the fault and
>
> I am not very familiar with this part. I read the implementation of
> bpf_probe_read_user() a little bit. It does what you mentioned here. It
> would cause page faults, however, the handler will skip the instruction
> leaving the counter non-zero. By checking the counter, it knows the
> instruction is not completed, and returns an error.
>
> I am curious about what your access pattern looks like. Does it access a
> large number of small chunks of data? Or, does it access a small number
> of big chunks of data?

My access pattern looks like a lot of small reads. Some of these reads could be
done at the same time if we had a vectorized API (i.e. some of the pointers are
known in advance); for others there are data dependencies (i.e. we need to
dereference a pointer to know what we'll want to read next). Specifically, the
use case is a debugger of sorts which uses BPF uprobes for poking around in the
target process' memory, rather than the more traditional ptrace-based
techniques (ptrace being very slow). This debugger needs to walk a lot of
thread stacks by following stack pointers or by using DWARF unwind information,
and then it further reads data structures from the target process' stacks and
heaps, chasing pointers recursively.